California National Guard Deployed Amid Third Dy of Immigration Protests in Los Angeles
Governor Newsom Condemns Federal Troop Presence as Unlawful

LOS ANGELES, June 8 (Reuters) — California National Guard troops were deployed across Los Angeles on Sunday to respond to a third consecutive day of unrest triggered by President Donald Trump’s immigration enforcement actions. The deployment drew strong opposition from California Governor Gavin Newsom, who called it an illegal overreach of federal power.

Tensions remained high as protesters clashed with police at multiple locations throughout the city. Authorities reported more arrests on Sunday, following 10 that day and 29 the night before. Police said some demonstrators hurled bottles, concrete objects, and other projectiles, prompting several rallies to be declared “unlawful assemblies.”

Videos from the scene showed dramatic moments: Alphabet-owned Waymo self-driving vehicles ablaze, protesters blocking the 101 Freeway, and officers on horseback attempting to control the crowds. Chanting "Shame on you!" demonstrators carried Mexican flags and signs condemning U.S. immigration authorities. An afternoon rally at City Hall was organized by the local chapter of the Party for Socialism and Liberation.

National Guard troops, backed by Department of Homeland Security personnel, were seen pushing back demonstrators outside a federal building downtown. U.S. Northern Command confirmed that 300 Guard members had been stationed at three locations in Los Angeles, with a mandate limited to protecting federal property and personnel.


Governor Newsom rejected the federal order to deploy 2,000 National Guard troops to Los Angeles County, calling the action a violation of California’s sovereignty. Speaking to MSNBC, he announced plans to sue the Trump administration, accusing the president of stoking unrest for political gain. “These are the acts of a dictator, not a president,” Newsom posted on X (formerly Twitter).

In contrast, Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell acknowledged the escalating violence and said a reassessment of response tactics was needed. While initially resisting the idea of involving the National Guard, McDonnell conceded, “Looking at the violence tonight, I think we've got to make a reassessment.”

President Trump, meanwhile, pressured McDonnell via social media to call in the Guard. “He should, right now!!! Don’t let these thugs get away with this. Make America great again!!!” Trump wrote. The White House defended the deployment, stating, “Everyone saw the chaos, violence and lawlessness.”

While Trump has not invoked the Insurrection Act, he has hinted at the possibility. “It depends on whether or not there’s an insurrection,” he told reporters in New Jersey. He also threatened harsh responses to those who “spit on” law enforcement or National Guard personnel, saying, “They spit, we hit.”

The Pentagon has placed 500 Marines at Camp Pendleton on “high alert,” according to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who warned active-duty troops could be mobilized if violence continues.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass criticized the Trump administration for escalating tensions, saying the deployment of federal troops was unnecessary and inflammatory. Still, she condemned violent protest actions, urging Angelenos not to be drawn into chaos.

Vanessa Cárdenas, head of the advocacy group America’s Voice, accused the administration of “trumping up an excuse to abuse power and force confrontation.”


Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said on CBS' Face the Nation that the Guard’s presence was to protect peaceful protesters and law enforcement near federal buildings.

Trump has intensified immigration enforcement in recent weeks, setting aggressive deportation goals for ICE. The raids have reportedly targeted not only undocumented migrants but also legal residents, sparking a wave of legal challenges.

Mexico’s President Claudia Sheinbaum denounced the U.S. actions. “We do not agree with this way of addressing the immigration issue,” she said, advocating for comprehensive reform over raids and military deployment.

Trump’s justification for the troop deployment cites Title 10 of the U.S. Code, which allows the federal government to mobilize the National Guard under specific conditions. However, legal experts note that Title 10 also stipulates such orders must go through state governors, raising questions about the legality of the move.


The president’s memo claims the troops will temporarily protect ICE and other federal personnel involved in law enforcement during protests, but the scope of their authority remains limited.

The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for information on a suspect who injured a federal officer by throwing rocks at police vehicles in Paramount.

Despite mounting legal, political, and civil unrest, Trump has remained defiant. “If we see danger to our country and our citizens,” he said Sunday, “it will be very, very strong in terms of law and order.”



Sponsored Content






























Post a Comment

0 Comments